Tyler's movie reviews

Tyler's movie reviews

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Pirates, Fountains, and Syfy

Today we will start with the Disney side of the world starting with Parks news and then we'll hit on Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. So grab some popcorn and lets set sail to White Cap Bay!


Star Tours - The Adventures Continue

Starting off our new tidbits at Disneyland and Disney Hollywood Studios (Florida) is the beginnings of what I'm sure will be a great attraction... Star Tours - The Adventures Continue. Disney has already made a commercial for the ride, and while a little cheesy, I think it will get guests to forget about Potterland at Universal's Islands of adventure park this summer and instead see them coming to Walt Disney World and Disneyland. Initial crowds are doing good at Disneyland, and coming soon, an R2-D2 popcorn bucket (I may just have to order one through a friend that works at the park).


In other recent Disney Parks news, the Disney Parks Blog has uploaded a sneak peak video for Star Tours. Star Tours opened yesterday at Disney Hollywood Studios park and officially opens June 3rd at Disneyland in California.


World of Color

Disney California Adventure has changed up World of Color in Paradise Bay again, this time the team has removed the Night on Bald Mountain/Hellfire sequence, and replaced it with a longer Pirates portion, why some of the foamers are mad about it, i actually think it was done well. They have also changed up both the "So Close" scene and added in Tangled in place of Tarzan, and they enhanced the finale. I hope i'll get to see it in person before it changes again, but in the meantime, here is a video with all the changed that were premiered last night.


The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure

On Thursday the walls around The Little Mermaid, Seaside Souvenirs, and Corn Dog Castle came down. The area looks amazing and I can't wait to actually see it for myself (why do I ave to live in Seattle?). Here are some picture of the area from Mint Crocodile's Magic Eye Blog.






















Pirates of the Caribbean (ride)

Yesterday also marked the opening of a temporary change to the classic Pirates of the Caribbean attractions at both Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World. Blackbeard (Edward Teach) has taken the place of Davy Jones in the cavern. Take a look at this clip and judge for yourself.


Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

I'm going to start with my review of the soundtrack to the film which I picked up on Tuesday. I love the soundtrack but here are a few things i noticed about it. Mutiny (track 3) is very similar to ___ from the 1st movie. compare for yourself:







I loved the Mermaids track, but I wish they would have included the siren song "My jolly Sailor Bold" from the movie. I have had an issue with this ever since the Curse of the Black Pearl came out and they didn't include the track of Elizabeth singing Yo ho, yo ho, A Pirates Life For Me from the very beginning of the movie. Take a look at this clip from the movie to understand why they should have included "My Jolly Sailor Bold"



The Book

Even before I had the soundtrack I had the book and While I liked reading it, it was a huge let down because it ends right after this clip



This is with still at least half an hour left of the movie, if not more.

The Movie
I went to the midnight premier dressed up as the good captain himself and took pictures with kids from elementary school aged up through High School.




I have to say that this was by far my favorite sequel to the original, and the simple reason is that it didn't rely on any of the previous movies, nor did it leave you on a huge cliffhanger  (Dead Man's Chest and At World's End). There are a few ride references including the tavern fight, Ponce de Leon's ship, and the occasional lines thrown out. There are a lot of good little twists that I loved. I made sure to stay until after the credits and in traditional Pirates of the Caribbean fashion, there is a clip after the credits. I won't spoil by saying who is in the clip, but I will say that it was pure genius. I think my favorite quote from the movie might just be Jack's "If you had a sister and a dog, I'd choose the dog" when speaking to Angelica.

I have already seen the movie in both 3-D and IMAX 3-D, and tomorrow night I will be seeing it in regular 2-D, even against Harry Potter 7 part 2, I think this will be my favorite movie of the summer!



Plus Jerry Bruckheimer has said on his twitter account that in some foreign markets Pirates 4 is breaking records for opening weekend attendance. Not only is it outperforming the At World's End opening weekend, but the entire run has been beaten by the opening weekend for On Stranger Tides in those foreign markets.


From twitter: already passed the entire run of P3 in one weekend for Russia, China and India.


Syfy channel and Stargate

With so many fans getting fed up with Syfy channel to quote Daniel Jackson "The time to join this fight is now". It is time that the Science Fiction fans stand up against The Powers That Be at Syfy and MGM and prove how big a mistake it is to not go forward with more new Stargate projects.


I'll leave you all with that for today, off to look for more Disney News.

1 comment:

  1. NEW MUPPETS TRAILER TYLER http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2011/05/26/prepare-to-be-muppeted

    ReplyDelete